SERVPRO Insider – October 2022
Our newest quarterly newsletter is here!
SERVPRO Insider – October 2022
Our newest quarterly newsletter is here! The SERVPRO Insider gives an inside look at what SERVPRO Team Miller has been up to!
In this issue, we’re helping you prepare for the holidays! Follow our fire safety tips to safely deep fry your Thanksgiving turkey and learn about the potential fire hazards that can come with holiday decorations.
Get an inside look at our storm damage restoration projects in Fort Wayne, Indiana, learn about a few of our dedicated team members who services residential and commercial large loss projects, and help us celebrate our amazing employee Bob who has been working for SERVPRO Team Miller for the past 25 years!
Each newsletter comes with a special feature on the services that SERVPRO offers. The service of this quarter: Fire Damage Restoration. Fire and smoke damage is especially destructive to properties and belongings. The SERVPRO team specializes in restoring versus replacing smoke and soot damaged contents and can perform restoration services to get fire-damaged buildings back to pre-fire condition.
If you’d like to subscribe to receive our full quarterly newsletters, send us a request at email@example.com.
Preventing a Kitchen Fire
More home fires start in the kitchen than anywhere else.
More home fires start in the kitchen than anywhere else. Every year, cooking was involved in an estimated 156,300 home fires that caused:
- 470 deaths
- 5,390 injuries
- $1 billion in property damage
These numbers could be greatly reduced if people paid more attention when they cooked and practiced simple fire safety behaviors.
- Unattended Cooking is The Leading Cause of Kitchen Fires
- Stay in the kitchen when frying, grilling, or broiling food
- Check food regularly – use a timer to remind you the stove/oven is On
- If you must leave – turn the oven Off
- Stay Alert to Avoid Stirring Up Trouble
- Don’t use the oven or stovetop if you are sleepy, have consumed alcohol or are using drugs.
- Hot Tips
- Keep pot handles turned in
- When you microwave food, open the container slowly to let steam escape and let food cool before eating
- Cool a burn under water for 3 to 5 minutes and cover it with a clean dry cloth
- If the burn is bigger than your fist, seek immediate medical assistance
If you do have a problem in the kitchen or any other room in the house give SERVPRO of Romulus/Taylor a call. Our team can clean up all fire, smoke, and water damage.
How Can I Keep My Family Safe from a Fire?
Practicing good habits surrounding fire safety is a great way to keep your home protected.
Having a house fire occur in your home is never ideal, but are you making sure you are doing everything you are able to prevent one? It can take less than a minute for a fire to begin spreading through the home, so making sure you know exactly what to do can help you be certain you can keep your family safe.
It is not difficult to implement fire safety efforts in your home and doing so will give you the assurance that you are as safe as possible. Practicing good habits surrounding fire safety is a great way to keep your home protected.
Practicing Good Fire Safety Habits at Home
- Check your smoke detectors. It is always wise to make sure you have the right number of smoke detectors and that they work as you start boosting your fire preparedness. You should have them on every floor and near every bedroom, and they should be checked monthly to make sure they work.
- Create a fire escape plan. Knowing how to exit the home quickly in case the smoke detectors sound an alarm is key to getting everyone out of the house safely. It should take a max of two minutes for everyone to escape and get to a designated meeting place outside of the home. It is recommended that you have two exits for every room to make this easier.
- Limit your fire risks. There are little things you can do every day to lessen your fire risk as well. Simple things make a big impact, such as never leaving the room when a candle is lit, keeping a safety buffer around your grill when cooking and storing chemicals correctly so they do not combust.
- Keep a fire extinguisher handy. Just in case a flare-up does occur, having a fire extinguisher handy can make the difference between a small incident and a large emergency. Make sure you know how to operate one and always have it within arm’s reach when cooking, grilling or performing other activities that involve open flames.
Winter Water Damage
Our team has winter storm experience.
Michigan winters are known to be brutally cold and large amounts of snow are always expected. With below freezing temperatures, snow, and ice, your home or business could be in jeopardy of water damage. It is crucial that you are aware of the hazards and can prepare, prevent or act quickly if faced with winter water damage.
A frozen pipe can burst at the point where the ice blockage inside the pipe is located, but typically the rupture is caused by the backflow pressure between the water source and the blockage. A burst pipe can cause considerable damage to your property if not addressed quickly.
Ice dams can be a major problem during the winter season. They form when heated air melts roof snow downward into water dammed behind still-frozen ice. When the trapped water cannot safely flow or run into the gutter system, it can backflow under the roof ’s shingles and into the structure’s interior areas.
Cold weather, snow, and ice storms can cause severe damage to your home or business. When these types of disasters strike, immediate action is necessary to prevent additional damage to your property. Our team has winter storm experience, expertise, and the resources to remediate damage caused by winter weather. If disaster strikes your home or business during the winter months, know that SERVPRO has your back.
Hidden Water Damage in Your Home
Here at SERVPRO of Romulus/Taylor, we are water damage restoration specialists and are ready to restore your home back to pre-water damage condition.
Water damage does not only come from burst pipes or flooding to damage your home. In most cases, undetected water damage can cause the most damage and be quite a headache.
There are five indicators that there’s water damage going hidden in your home:
- Stains on walls and ceilings: Nobody purposefully looks up at their ceiling. However, it is important to thoroughly check the ceilings in your home for stains. There might be a bathtub or shower leak from one floor to the next, or your ceiling could leak into the attic.
- Musty or unpleasant smells: Do you smell something musty, or even earthy, in your home? Hidden water can cause mold to grow, and a nasty smell is a good signal that something is wrong.
- Peeling paint: Not only can water stain your walls, but it can also cause the paint to lift. If you see your paint starting to peel, quickly find the source of the problem, or call a professional to fix it.
- Mold Growth: Just like with ceilings, we do not exactly pay attention to the corners of our homes, but often these small hidden areas can tell us about potentially harmful leaks or spills. Check to see if there are any discolored or fuzzy looking spots in isolated corners or hidden areas.
- Flooring: When allowed to flow, water naturally reaches the lowest level. Therefore, rivers flow downstream. Water can seep under your flooring and collect – damaging your sub-floors. Check for and warping or deformation to make sure there is no water hiding beneath the floorboards. When this happens, it is important to act as quickly as possible, so we can restore your flooring to good as new.
Here at SERVPRO of Romulus/Taylor, we are water damage restoration specialists and are ready to restore your home back to pre-water damage condition. Whether water damage sneaks up on you or not, we are available 24/7 to make it “Like it never even happened.”
Commercial Cleaning Made Easy
Along with our restoration services, we also offer specialized services specifically for the commercial setting.
At SERVPRO, we are well known for the custom solutions that we provide to homeowners. But what some people don’t realize is that we are also passionate about taking care of business owners.
That’s right, like the services we provide for homeowners, we do the same for business owners. Along with our restoration services, we also offer specialized services specifically for the commercial setting. One of our services is helping you to keep your facility in top condition! Because we are business owners ourselves, we know that the state and presentation of your facility matters.
Commercial Services for Businesses of Any Kind or Size
All business owners are busy! That’s why we strive to make it our priority to keep your business clean and sanitized so that you can remain focused on the more important things. We will provide you with professional cleaning and sanitation for all types of businesses, including:
- Retail facilities, such as supermarkets, home decor stores and malls. We work with everyone from small business owners to CEOs of multimillion dollar businesses and provide them with the same satisfactory service that they expect.
- Educational facilities, such as schools, daycares and tutoring places. Thanks to the pandemic, teachers have made the conscious effort to regularly clean, but it only gets about half the bacteria from desks. The reality is many things don’t get cleaned on a regular basis and the numbers for those are quite scary.
- Health facilities, including hospitals, assisted living centers and doctors’ offices. We work to ensure that your customers know your facility is thoroughly cleaned and you have made the effort to keep their well-being in mind.
- Foodservice facilities, such as restaurants, distribution centers and wholesale markets. At these types of facilities, cleanliness is crucial, and while you work hard on your job, we will work hard on ours. We will ensure that your facility is well-cleaned.
- Property management facilities, including apartment complexes, commercial buildings and sky-scrappers. These types of facilities are judged as soon as a customer walks through the doors, which is why we provide environmental and sanitation care.
Can You Trust Your Restoration Company?
SERVPRO of Romulus/Taylor is locally owned and operated, which means our community is our family.
Whether your home has been minimally damaged by a random act of nature or majorly damaged by a cooking mistake, life can abruptly change. When this happens, it will require you to make a quick decision as to who you will contact to help you restore your home. Deciding on a restoration provider in advance can be helpful in case of an emergency. Ask these questions about potential vendors:
Are They Legit?
Sometimes in life, you learn lessons the hard way! But the saying “not everyone is your friend” is fitting during a trying time in your life. When your home is damaged, not everyone who shows up has your best interest in mind. Most times, storms bring in scammers who follow storms from city to city to find people to prey on. They tend to have everything you need, promise you something that sounds amazing, then they take your money and leave!
We are no scammers; in fact, we are proud to say we are quite different. We have been in the national landscape for over 50 years, and we have earned a reputation for being good at what we do. We not only fix your home, but we work hard to make sure you are completely satisfied before we are finished.
Are They Readily Available?
When your home isn’t in full working status, you are willing to do anything to get it back to normal and do it quickly! That’s why you need to be sure you have someone that you can count on. We know this, and that’s why we have someone on call 24 hours a day, seven days a week! Timely action can end up saving you a lot of money in the long run, since the longer damage sits, the more damage occurs.
What If It’s a Big Emergency?
SERVPRO of Romulus/Taylor is locally owned and operated, which means our community is our family. We’re here to help whenever your family or business needs us. And if major storms occur and affect multiple neighborhoods, we have a nationwide network of other SERVPRO franchises that will back us up. When we call for help, we can tap into additional resources and support.
How Restoration Saves You Time and Money
Sustaining any type of household damage, whether it be from a fire, flood or other incident, can be a frightening experience.
Sustaining any type of household damage, whether it be from a fire, flood or other incident, can be a frightening experience. In addition to the damage, there are the emotional effects to consider for you and your family throughout the healing process. As you work to regain a sense of normalcy, getting help with the recovery process can make everything go much more smoothly so you can return home.
With our restoration-focused mindset, you can be certain that we will do everything we can to restore your home and your belongings to their pre-damaged condition. We have the technology and the expertise to be able to restore many types of items, so you can focus on emotional healing instead of physical rebuilding.
Let Us Handle the Restoration of Your Home After Damage
- We can help you save money on your insurance. Many types of damage will be covered by the insurance policy on your home, but there are caveats to making claims. The expense of these claims can be quite high, causing your insurance to increase your rates if there is total liquidation. Fortunately, going the restoration route can save you money by reducing your insurance claim amount.
- We can protect your sentimental items. For all emergencies, the safety of you and your loved ones is the most important thing—which is why when you have to evacuate, you must leave sentimental objects behind. We know how hard this can be, which is why we have invested in the best technology available, allowing us to restore objects like photographs, heirlooms and other precious things that could never be replaced.
- We make sure your home feels like home again. It is emotional to go back home after a disaster has caused damage, but we can help make sure your house still feels like home. We handle all the cosmetic considerations, such as paint, flooring and more, and put your belongings where they go in your house to ensure it feels like home.
The Qualities That Make SERVPRO Different
Disaster strikes or accidents happen at the times we least expect and often when we are the least prepared.
As adults, we work hard in making sure that everything goes according to plan, but life certainly doesn’t always stick to the plan. Disaster strikes or accidents happen at the times we least expect and often when we are the least prepared.
When things like this happen, our stress levels can increase dramatically. That’s when you can count on us. We help you deal with things that aren’t in your wheelhouse—disaster recovery is what we know best.
We know that disaster doesn’t pick “business hours” to strike. That’s why we are standing by, 24 hours a day, seven days a week. We can spring into action as soon as you call. When a crisis calls, we don’t have to get ready; we stay ready.
Fast and Efficient
When a disaster strikes your home or business and you don’t get help promptly, it allows for more mold growth, more smoke smell or more water damage. Responding quickly is essential, and this is when it pays to have someone local on your side.
Home or Business
Disasters strike both homes and businesses. That’s why we offer custom solutions for any situation. We work to provide you the best services that you need in order to get your home or business back to “normal” operation.
Making It "Like It Never Even Happened."
We pride ourselves on seeing a restoration project to the end. We work hard to stay up to date on the most innovative training and equipment so that we can always provide you with the best service possible. We want you to be satisfied with your results, and we won’t stop until you are!
Adaptive to Changes
Life as we all knew it has dramatically changed, and disease prevention is valued now more than ever. Because we know this is now a huge part of business’ success, we offer cleaning services that go beyond traditional janitorial services. As a business you want to provide a customized clean so that your employees and customers know that you care for them.
Stormy Season Is Here
You must think safety-first when experiencing severe storms.
With the crazy heat, it’s safe to say that summer is here. While summer does bring beautiful, hot days, it’s also known to bring summer thunderstorms and related damage. While there is a saying that April showers bring May flowers, rain is actually even more common during the summer months.
The moisture and warm air present during summer create ideal circumstances for summer storms. As you know, here locally, the summer months prove time and time again that storms happen more often. During these warmer months, our average precipitation jumps up by almost a full inch.
- Even though storms are a common part of summer, you still have to consider each one as potentially dangerous. If you know that heavy storms are predicted, it’s important to stay aware and prepared should anything serious happen.
- You can listen to your local news and radio stations to stay up to date on weather information, but it is also smart to invest in an NOAA Weather radio so that if you lose power, you can still be in the know.
- During storms, it’s important to remember that there is always a possibility of flooding. If you know that flooding is likely, you should make arrangements to stay off the roads.
- When you encounter extreme storms, you also have a chance of taking on more damage to your home and vehicles. Make sure you are keeping up with lawn maintenance and taking precautions with yard art to ensure there is less debris that can be picked up by wind and water during a storm.
Many people die every year from storm-related incidents, so you must think safety-first when experiencing severe storms.